Wednesday, September 17, 2008

2 Literacy Moments

Describing my first encounter with a children's book is quite a challenge for me. I have read so many children's books over the last 16 years that I can't separate the books of my childhood from my adulthood. However, one memory I have is of a first grade teacher reading Charlotte's Web by E.B. White everyday after lunch. I was captivated by the story and found the animal characters in the story so endearing that it was hard to say good-bye to them when the book was over. As a child, I think I related to Fern’s love for Wilbur because of my affection for our family dog, Abigail (a basset hound, that was smelly and poorly behaved like most basset hounds). As a child, I also liked books that with mischievous characters. Templeton, the self-absorbed, scavenging rat, who lives in Wilbur’s barn, is one of my favorites. E.B. White’s simple descriptions and lively characters make this story memorable even for people like me; whose childhoods are blurred by age and parenthood.

Elie Wiesel’s autobiography, Night, is both his memoir and testimony of what happened to him during the Holocaust. It is a book that made a difference in my life because his painful story is a reminder of what occurs when people are intolerant of other races, religions, classes, etc. When I teach children, I always try to bring a message of tolerance to the classroom. Helping children accept each other’s differences is important to me.

Night is also a book about survival. Survival stories remind me of the strength people are able to find within themselves to overcome the worst circumstances. How does someone survive such destruction and go on living? Where do they find their strength? How does someone live with so much fear? Why didn’t they give up? It is inspiring to know someone can survive the darkest of times.

3 comments:

Daphne said...

Wow, this was a very thought-provoking entry. I appreciated the recommendation of Night, though I would imagine it would be excruciating to read. I'll be interested also to hear how you like Poisonwood. My favorites of hers were Animal Dreams, The Bean Trees, and Pigs in Heaven. I wasn't crazy about Poisonwood (though I did admire it) and I liked Prodigal Summer, but not as much as the other three. I hope I remember to ask you next week how Poisonwood is going. Now I'm going to read about your visit to Politics and Prose (which I also visited : )

KS said...

I really want to read Night after reading your blog. It sounds like an amazing book. I think I might go order it off of Amazon right now! :)

Eloise said...

Clearly you struck a cord with you description of Night! I also think a lot about the struggle for survival, and also the idea of having the faith and/or determination to struggle for a better life when a better life may not be around the corner. I always wonder what would I do? Am i a survivor, is my sister, mother etc... Anyway, I like how you think see you in class!