Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Counter Narrative Text 10/22

My counter narrative text has been on the back burner for a few weeks. I wrote a first draft with a male, lead character. He is the Cinderella figure because he does all the chores for his family day after day. He longs to travel and decides to join an adventure club with his friend. His sisters are left to take care of the family home and discover that they are very capable, successful homemakers on their own.

I plan to rewrite my first version to add more depth to my characters and to make the story more interesting. I may find that trying to write from a male perspective might not work for me. As I sat down to write my first draft, I knew that
I did not want my counter narrative to be about a female character getting saved by a male. This rescue theme is prevalent in Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, and Red Riding Hood. It is not a message I would want young females to receive.

1 comment:

MV said...

I'm very interested to see what you end up with. I think the version you shared in class was quite good but there are definitely some ways you could make it a much more powerful text.

Thanks
vivian
www.clippodcast.com